A selection of the need-to-know civil justice news for the week of January 23-29.


Guess Which Circuit Holds the Fewest Oral Arguments. (Hint: It’s the Same One that Issues the Fewest Published Opinions.)

Matthew Stiegler | CA3blog

In the 12 months before September 30, 2014, the Third Circuit decided 2,402 cases. It heard oral argument in 238 of them, or 9.9% of its cases. The other 90.1% it decided without oral argument. So what does that mean? Well, the Third Circuit heard the fewest oral arguments in 2014 of any circuit.

Full story. 


How a High-Flying Lawyer Botched His Big Case Against GM

Erik Larson & Margaret Cronin Fisk | Bloomberg

When Robert Kleven switched on the news for his drive to work two weeks ago, he had no idea he was about to sink a high-profile lawsuit against General Motors Co. and embarrass one of the best-known plaintiffs’ lawyers in the U.S.

Full story.


Objectors Say Subway Sandwich Settlement Comes Up Short

Bruce Vielmetti | Journal Sentinel

Is Subway’s promise to do a better job making sure its sandwiches measure up to their advertised lengths worth nearly $6 million a year to customers?

Full story.


A Judge’s Guidance Makes Jurors Suspicious Of Any Eyewitness

Nell Greenfieldboyce | NPR

The state of New Jersey has been trying to help jurors better assess the reliability of eyewitness testimony, but a recent study suggests that the effort may be having unintended consequences.

Full story. 


Liquor Store Detour Thwarts Injury Claim Against Car Owner

Zack Needles | New Jersey Law Journal

A Newark woman who tasked her brother with taking her car to pick up her daughter cannot be held liable for the crash that occurred after he stopped off to buy—and drink—enough scotch to push his blood alcohol level to nearly four times the legal limit, a New Jersey trial judge has ruled.

Full story.


Another Company Making Racketeering Claims Against Asbestos Lawyers

John O’Brien | Legal Newsline

A company that is frequently targeted in asbestos lawsuits wants to add its own racketeering claims to those already pending against a prominent plaintiffs law firm.

Full story.


Uber is Facing a Staggering Number of Lawsuits

Kristen V. Brown | Fusion

Last year, 50 lawsuits were filed against Uber in U.S. federal court. You might be wondering whether that’s a lot; after all, Uber operates in 68 countries, employs more than 5,000 people and is the most highly valued start-up in the world. We’re here to tell you that it is a lot, and that all this litigation is a serious problem for Silicon Valley’s favorite start-up.

Full story.         


Follow us on Twitter for even more civil justice news.