Election Day Recap
- Governor Christie easily won re-election, defeating Senator Barbara Buono by more than 20 percentage points.
- Senate Democrats retained their 24-16 majority.
- Assembly Republicans picked up at least one seat. Though others are contested, they will remain in the minority.
- Senator Stephen Sweeney will continue to serve as Senate President. Assemblyman Vincent Prieto will assume the role of Assembly Speaker, replacing Assemblywoman Shelia Oliver.
- Democrats Loretta Weinberg and Louis Greenwald will each serve another term as Majority Leader in the Senate and Assembly, respectively.
- Senate Minority Leader Tom Kean, Jr. fended off a challenge to his leadership post and will continue to serve in that role. Assemblyman Jon Bramnick will continue to serve as Republicans’ Minority Leader in the Assembly.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!